The holidays are right around the corner! Stores have already been serving everything pumpkin-flavored for well over a month, Halloween ushers in the sugar-craze this Saturday, and in November the march of parties, get-togethers, travel, and many good meals begins. Keeping yourself moving and healthy is a commitment at any time of the year, but when our schedules change, keeping the commitment becomes harder – even if the disruption is a wonderful one, such as time off for family and celebration.
I’ve collected a few of my favorite strategies which keep me moving on Holidays and vacations, and if you have any of your own, we’d love to hear them! Join the conversation on our Facebook page. We’re all in this together!
- Embrace the disruption. Your usual group class may be on hiatus during the holidays, or you may be in a different city. Expect for things to be different, and you can better plan to take care of your body.
- Try something different. If your routine is thrown off, why not take the opportunity to try something you haven’t done before? Try a new class or go for a hike, jog, or bike ride in a new environment. Getting a new perspective, be it from a different instructor, trying a new movement form, or getting outdoors in a new location, can give you insight into your loved routine!
- Bring the family. During my last visit home, my Mom, boyfriend and I booked a private session from my mom’s Pilates instructor. It was a fun way to share what I do with a couple people I love, while working out the travel-kinks from my muscles!
- Take ten. If your schedule is packed and getting to a class or out on a long walk won’t happen, commit to taking ten minutes for your body. Either at the start or end of your day, find a spot to lay on the floor and do your favorite exercises. Traveling and don’t have a mat? A rug or towel can give you some padding on the floor.
- Treat yourself. As essential as exercise is for health and well-being, so is rest and rejuvenation. Book a massage during the holidays – chances are you’ll feel so good afterward, you’ll be inspired to keep making time for your body!